The former capital and Queen City-Lubeck of the Hanseatic League was founded in the 12th century and flourished as a major trading center in northern Europe until the 16th century. It remains a center of maritime trade with the Nordic countries to this day. Despite the damage caused by World War II, the basic structure of the old city, consisting mainly of 15th and 16th-century patriotic settlements, public monuments (the famous Holsteiner brick gate), churches, and salt warehouses, remains intact.
Founded in 1143 on the Baltic coast of northern Germany, Lubeck was one of the major cities of the Hanseatic League from 1230 to 1535. A league of trading cities that came to maintain a monopoly on trade in the Baltic Sea and the North Sea. The layout of Lubeck on the Old Town is determined by two parallel lines running along with the island’s logo, with an outline such as its plane. To the west of Europe are the wealthiest houses, with trading houses and houses of wealthy merchants, and to the east are small merchants and artisans. A very strong socio-economic organization emerges through the unitary attitude of Buden, a small workshop set up behind rich people. It is accessed through a narrow road system (Gonz).
Although the city was badly damaged during World War II, Lubeck remains an urban monument with a significant historical structure. Nearly 20% of it has been destroyed, and the most famous monumental complexes include the Lubeck Cathedral, St. Peter and St. Mary’s Churches, and especially the Grzndungsviertel, the hilltop, the houses with clusters of wealthy merchants, the most important churches and monuments to be rebuilt through selected renovations Permitted.
Excluding completely redesigned zones, the World Heritage Site includes three important sections of Lubeck history. The first area extends from Burkloster in the north to the quarter of St. Aegean in the south. Bornkloster (1227), a Dominican convent, was built to fulfill a vow made during the Battle of Bonehead and contains the original foundations of the palace built by Adolf von Schoenberg County of Buku Isthmus. The Coburg site was preserved in the late 18th century by the Jacobite Church and Helig-Geist Hospital, built around a common square bordered by two important monuments. The parts between Glockengiesserstrasse and Aegidienstrasse retain their original structure and contain a significant number of medieval structures.
Between the two large churches that mark its boundaries – the Church of the Assumption in the north and the Cathedral in the south – the second area includes rows of superior Patrician houses of the 15th and 16th centuries. Its salt warehouses and holster, located on the left bank of the Troas, reinforce the monument to a completely restored area at the height of the Hansa period (c. 1250 to 1400), which dominated the Lubeck trade in northern Europe.
Located in the heart of medieval cities, St. Mary’s Church, City Hall, and the Third Area around Market Square bear the tragic scars of the devastating bombings of World War II.
Outstanding examples of building types illustrate the most authentic areas of the city of Hanseatic Lubeck, the power, and the historical role of the Hanseatic League.
The preserved official residences of the old city together show the medieval structure of the Hanseatic city and represent a high-level European monument. The overall feel of the old city is strengthened by the individual architectural highlights of the church and the ruins, and the combined results are revealed through the unique city silhouette with the seven towers of the combined church.
The old city is surrounded on all sides by water and, in part, by walls and garden areas. Despite the devastation of World War II, the basic structure of the old city, with its 15th and 16th century Patrician houses, public monuments (the famous Holsteiner brick gate), churches, and salt warehouses, remains intact. To this day, its layout is clearly recognizable as a peaceful, complete work, and its unique uniform silhouette can be seen from a distance.
Security and Management Requirements
Laws and regulations in the Federal Republic of Germany and in the province of Schleswig-Holstein guarantee the continued security of the Hanseatic city of Lubeck. The Schleswig-Holstein Monument Protection and Preservation Act of the Federal Territory protects a large number of historical monuments and the Old Town Island.
The monument conservation plan is the basis for city planning and specific architectural interventions. Furthermore, the historic Lubeck Center is protected by a conservation policy and planning policy. Even the area around the old city in the late 19th century was protected by conservation policies. The Schleswig-Holstein Regional Development Program in the federal state guarantees the protection of the visual axis and the silhouette of World Heritage properties.
The city of Lubeck is responsible for managing World Heritage properties. Within the urban structure, the World Heritage Commissioner organizes coordination between stakeholders to ensure that the potential threats of outstanding universal value are properly addressed and that issues related to design procedures are integrated, for an integrated monitoring approach and sustainable development. Complementing the World Heritage Property management plan, this differentiated security system ensures the efficient preservation of the subset historical essence of the property. Additional visual axes are activated outside the buffer zone to protect and maintain significant universal value, long-term protection, and sustainability of important ideas and structural integrity.
In addition, external experts regularly meet with consulting firms to monitor quality and discuss appropriate solutions in town planning and construction practices. With regard to tourism and visitor management, the Tourism Development Concept (TDC) provides the basis for strategic activities.