Buckingham Palace has served as the official London residence of the sovereignty of the United Kingdom since 1837 and is today the administrative headquarters of the monarchy. Although used for many official ceremonies and receptions hosted by the Queen, the Government Rooms at Buckingham Palace are open to visitors every summer.
Buckingham Palace has 775 rooms. It has 19 government rooms, 52 royal, and guest bedrooms, 188 staff bedrooms, 92 offices, and 78 bathrooms. In measurements, the front of the building is 108 m long, 120 m deep (including the central square), and 24 m high. Today, Buckingham Palace is a highly functional building, the center of the constitutional monarchy in the United Kingdom, and serves as the venue for many royal ceremonies, from entertaining foreign heads of state to celebrating victories in investment and recognition.
Every year more than 50,000 people come to the palace as guests for state banquets, lunches, dinners, receptions, and garden parties. Her monarchy has weekly audiences with the Prime Minister, as well as welcoming newly appointed ambassadors to Buckingham Palace.
Palace receptions are held throughout the year to identify industries, government, charities, sports, the Commonwealth, and many other aspects of life. For example, in 2013, the Queen hosted a reception to celebrate the Commonwealth, Youth, and Education, which was attended by 350 guests from educational institutions around the world. A concert by the Commonwealth Youth Orchestra and Choir, and most recently in 2015, Majesty hosted a reception for the Rugby World Cup players, organizers and supporters. Buckingham Palace is often the center of significant national celebrations.
In 2002, a concert was staged in Buckingham Palace Park to mark the Queen’s Golden Jubilee, featuring a memorable performance by Brian May from the roof of the palace and at Her Majesty’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations. The public was invited to a special excursion at Buckingham Palace Park in 2012.
The balcony here is one of the most famous in the world. The first appearance of the royal balcony was made in 1851 when Queen Victoria entered the Great Exhibition Celebration. Since then, appearances on the royal balcony, from the Queen’s official birthday celebrations to trooping color, have marked the 75th anniversary of the RAF Flypast at the end of royal weddings as well as special events of national importance.
Buckingham Palace is considered the administrative center of the monarchy, and in addition to holding the Queen’s Gallery and the Royal Mouse, it is also home to the family. The Queen gave birth to Prince Charles and Prince Andrew at the palace, and even today notices of royal births and deaths are mounted on the front rails for the public to read. The Christmas of the Prince of Wales, the Royal Princess, the Duke of York, and Prince William took place in the concert hall, and many royal weddings were celebrated at Buckingham Palace.
The offices of those who assist the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh in their day-to-day affairs and duties, as well as the office of their immediate family, the Private Secretariat and the Privy Purse and Treasurer’s office, are located at Buckingham Palace.
History of Buckingham Palace
George III bought the Buckingham House in 1761 for his wife, Queen Charlotte, as a cozy family home near St. James’ Palace. Buckingham House became known as Queen’s House, where 14 of George III’s 15 children were born.
After George IV came to power in 1820, his father George III decided to renovate the house into a pie-terrace, using it for the same purpose.
As work progressed and by the end of 1826 the king’s mind changed. With the help of his architect John Nash, he worked to turn the house into a palace. Parliament agreed to a $ 150,000 budget, but King demanded $ 450,000 as a more realistic figure. The main part was retained by Nash. However, a new set of rooms has been added to the west-facing garden side. It doubled its size. The exterior style of the smooth bathtub reflected the French neoclassical influence of George IV.
The refurbished rooms are state and semi-state rooms and are almost indistinguishable from Nash’s time.
To commemorate the British conquests of Trafalgar and Waterloo, the north and south wings of Buckingham Palace were broken down and the large-scale victorious arched marble arch was rebuilt as the centerpiece of an expanded courtyard.
By 1829 the cost was close to half a million pounds. Nash lost his job due to high costs, and with the death of George IV in 1830, he finished work with his younger brother, William IV, Edward Blower. The king never went to the palace. In fact, when the Parliament House was destroyed by fire in 1834, the King presented the palace as a new home to Parliament, but that request was denied.
Queen Victoria was the first sovereign to settle here in July 1837, and the first British sovereign to leave Buckingham Palace for a crown in June 1838. In 1840 her marriage to Prince Albert took place very soon, and the palace showed its shortcomings.
A serious problem for the newlyweds was the lack of a nursery and the presence of several bedrooms for visitors. The only solution was to move the marble arch. It is now located at the northeast corner of Hyde Park. The cost of the new section was largely covered by the construction of the square by the construction of the fourth wing, with the sale of George IV’s Royal Pavilion at Brighton.
An attic floor was added to the main part of the Blor Palace, which was originally intended for Nash’s marble arch, and was decorated with marble fries. Its work was completed in 1847. At the turn of the century, the soft French stone used on the eastern front of the Blows showed signs of decay, largely due to the fact that it needed to be replaced by soap in a London jar.
In 1913 it was decided to redesign this interface. Sir Aston Webb, with a number of large public buildings, was commissioned to create a new design. Webb chose Portland Stone, which took 12 months to prepare before building work began. It took 13 weeks to complete the redesign when work began. This process included the removal of old stonework.
The current forecast of the palace changing the defense force was established in 1911 as part of the Victoria Memorial Scheme.
The gates and rails were also completed in 1911. The North Central Gate is now the daily entrance to the palace, the Central Gate is used for state occasions, and the guard leaves after the guard changes. Work was completed shortly before the outbreak of World War I in 1914.
Visiting Buckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace is open to limited visitors during the summer months and during the December, January, and Easter festivals each year.