The building, where the Borghese Gallery is located, was the work of the architect Flaminio Ponzio, who began construction in 1612 on the orders of Cardinal Borghese. This is a U-shaped terrace, decorated with kitchens, openings, classic statues, and reliefs.
From 1730 to 1800, Prince Borghese ordered the re-creation of gardens in the English style, and in 1775, under the guidance of the architect Antonio Aspruchi, the sculptures and antiquities were redesigned according to thematic criteria. At the end of the 18th century, the building became a public museum.
In 1902 the Bourgeois family could not afford the maintenance, and the collection was sold to the Italian province, and in 1903 Casina separated Borghese’s parks and sold them to the town hall of Rome, making them famous.
The Borghese Gallery building was completely renovated between 1995 and 1997 with the reconstruction of the portico’s double staircase as well as its interior.